- Brian Steensland and Xiaoyun Wang. Forthcoming. “Philanthropy as Spiritual Practice: Contemporary Patterns and Prospects,” in Religion and Philanthropy in the United States, edited by David King and Philip Goff. Indiana University Press.
- King, David P. God’s Internationalists: World Vision and the Age of Evangelical Humanitarianism. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2019.
- Haberski, Raymond, Jr., and Andrew Hartman, eds. American Labyrinth: Intellectual History for Complicated Times. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2018.
- Haberski, Raymond, Jr. Voice of Empathy: A History of Franciscan Media in the United States. Oceanside, CA: Academy of American Franciscan History, 2018.
- Goff, Philip, Arthur E. Farnsley, and Peter J. Thuesen, eds. The Bible in American Life. New York, NY: Oxford, 2017.
- Steensland, Brian, and Philip Goff, eds. The New Evangelical Social Engagement. New York, NY: Oxford, 2014.
- Farnsley, Arthur E., II. Flea Market Jesus. Eugene, OR: Cascade Books, 2012.
- Davis, Thomas J. John Calvin’s American Legacy. New York, NY: Oxford, 2010.
Public Expressions of Religion in America
The University of Illinois Press has published six volumes written for the Center as part of the Public Expressions of Religion in America project:
- Friesen, A. “Generational Change? The Effects of Family, Age and Time on Moral Foundations.” Forthcoming in The Forum: A Journal of Applied Research in Contemporary Politics.
- Lewis, A.R., Blake, W., Mockabee, S.T., Friesen, A. “American Constitutional Faith and the Politics of Hermeneutics.” Forthcoming in Politics & Religion.
- Friesen, A. (2019). Personality, politics and religion. In Paul A. Djupe and Mark Rozell (Eds.), Oxford Encyclopedia of Politics & Religion. New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press. doi: 10.1093/acrefore/9780190228637.013.824.
- Steensland, B., Woodberry, R., Park, J.Z., (2018). Structure, placement, and the quest for unidimensional purity in taxonomies of American denominations. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 57, 800-806.
- Steensland, B., Wang, X., Schmidt, L., (2018). Spirituality: What does it mean and to whom? Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 57, 450-72.
- Tucker Edmonds, J.L. (2018). The canonical black body: Alternative African American religions and the disruptive politics of sacrality. Religions, 9(1), 17.
- Djupe, P.A., Friesen, A. (2018). Moralizing to the choir: The moral foundations of American clergy. Social Science Quarterly, 99(2), 665-682. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ssqu.12455/full. DOI: 10.1111/ssqu.12455.
- Friesen, A., Smith, K.B., Hibbing, J.R. (2017). Physiological arousal and self-reported valence for erotic images correlate with sexual policy preferences. International Journal of Public Opinion Research, 29(3), 449-470. https://academic.oup.com/ijpor/article/29/3/449/2669465/Physiological-Arousal-and-SelfReported-Valence-for?guestAccessKey=4940cbd4-0ad9-4fb1-a49f-617ecd798add.
- Friesen, A., Djupe, P.A. (2017), Conscientious women: The dispositional conditions of institutional treatment on civic involvement. Politics & Gender, 13(1), 57-80. https://hdl.handle.net/1805/9332.
- Friesen, A., Hibbing, M.V. (2016). The effect of personal economic values on economic policy preferences. Social Science Quarterly, 97(2), 325-337. doi: 10.1111/ssqu.12236. https://hdl.handle.net/1805/9328.
- Lakens, D., Adolfi, F.G., Albers, C.J., Anvari, F., Apps, M.A.J., Argamon, S.E., Friesen, A., Zwaan, R.A. (2018). Justify your alpha. Nature Human Behaviour, 2, 168-171. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-018-0311-x. doi:10.1038/s41562-018-0311-x.
- Farnsley II, A.E. (February 28, 2019). Why churches should not measure their growth against the economic boom.” Religion News Service. https://religionnews.com/2019/02/28/why-churches-should-not-measure-their-growth-against-the-economic-boom/.
- Djupe, P.A., Soklhey, E., Friesen, A., Lewis, A.R. (November 4, 2016). When evangelical clergy oppose Trump, their flocks listen. But they’re not speaking up. The Washington Post.
- Farnsley II, A.E. (December 7, 2016). It’s time we think of politics more like religion. Religion News Service. https://religionnews.com/2016/12/07/its-time-we-think-of-politics-more-like-religion/.
- Farnsley II, A.E. (February 23, 2016). Why Religious Identity isn’t the Best Marker of Political Mobilization. The Washington Post. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/why-religious-identity-isnt-the-best-marker-of-political-mobilization-commentary/2016/02/23/31f6e4be-da68-11e5-8210-f0bd8de915f6_story.html?utm_term=.6086dc3005cf.
- Friesen, A. (February 4, 2016). What Role Does Faith Play at the Polls? Indianapolis Recorder. https://www.indianapolisrecorder.com/religion/article_420e3dcc-c5da-11e5-a00d-3b4afffc6bf7.html?fbclid=IwAR0FdVuhwTpa3vVNEiA7GMb4Gh2qAvcMisvM4FiIWTqjNlwAmckKTzrxLnU.